Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Emotional Turmoil

I’m sure that based on the heading of this post, you expect it to be about culture shock or homesickness or something else related to the fact that I now live in India. Well, it’s not. It’s about my friends--the same ones who have been causing most of my emotional turmoil for the past 7 years. On Monday night I received the following email:

Ummmm, you guys? I just got this email... What should we do?
---------- Forwarded message ----------

Hi M,
I'm writing because I have a huge favor to ask of you.I know this may come as a surprise, but I'm going to propose to D. Please don't tell anyone because I want it to be a surprise.I need your help because I don't know what kind of ring to get her. Do you have any suggestions?Best wishes,
K

D and M are two of my best friends. Obviously this was a big emotional shocker since it meant that the first of my best friends was getting married. However, that was just the beginning. On Tuesday morning, I received this email:

Hey guys,
I'm having some relationship trouble. I don't think I like K anymore. Plus, S wrote me a message on facebook, and I think I have some residual feelings for him. Sure, he used to stalk me. But he was so sweet. I am considering breaking up with K and maybe seeing S soon. But I am going to wait until after graduation to break up with K.
D


Oh shit. Total emergency mode now. K wants to marry D and D is going to dump K. But oh wait, it gets worse…

Actually, I have a confession. S came up last weekend (he told me, he didn't just show up) and I had dinner with him. It was really nice.

So now K wants our help proposing to D and D has confessed that she’s cheating on K with S. Could this be a bigger disaster? Needless to say there was lots of frantic emailing going back and forth about how to handle the situation and many discussions about the nausea, heartburn, and need for alcohol this was causing. How do we tell K to postpone a proposal? How do we react to D cheating on K? Can we tell D that K wants to propose so she realizes she has to tell him about S? There were about 2 hours of constant 2, 3, and 4-way emails across 3 different continents about how to deal with the situation. Then, right as I was on the verge of trekking out in the middle of the night in search of bottle of wine in dry-India, I get this email:

APRIL FOOLS!
Love,
D & M

Thanks guys, thanks.

2 comments:

LD said...

I love your friends...they can push your buttons as quickly as the big M can! Funnnnny! LD

Philip said...

Ha! Can't wait to hear how you get them back for this one.

Nice job D & M.

PD